- Introduction of 7 segment LCD
- Introduction of 14 segment LCD
- Introduction of 16 segment LCD
- The difference between 7, 14, 16 segment LCD
- The advantages and disadvantages of 7 segment LCD
- The advantages and disadvantages of 14 segment LCD
- The advantages and disadvantages of 16 segment LCD
- How to choose a proper segment LCD for your product?
There are 3 kinds of numbers in segment LCDs, they are 7 segments, 14 segments, and 16 segments. You can choose a suitable type for your product. And follow the article to find how to choose the suitable ones for your projects.
1. Introduction of 7 segment LCD
Seven segment LCD show is the most widely recognized gadget utilized for showing digits and letter sets. You can see the Seven Segment Display gadgets in TV shows counting down to ‘0’. The utilization of LEDs in seven segments made it more famous. The parallel data can be shown as decimal utilizing this seven portion shown. Its wide scope of uses is in microwaves, mini-computers, clothes washers, radios, advanced timekeepers, and so forth.
It utilized the properties of the fluid precious stone for showing. LCD won’t radiate the light straightforwardly. These LEDs or LCDs are utilized to show the necessary numeral or letter set. A single seven fragments or number of portions organized in a request meets our necessities. It is generally utilized in computerized clocks, electronic meters, fundamental number crunchers, and other electronic gadgets that show mathematical data.
The seven-segment LCD is generally utilized in electronic showcase gadgets for decimal numbers from 0 to 9 and sometimes, fundamental characters. The utilization of light discharging diodes (LEDs) in seven portions made it more famous, though late fluid precious stone presentations (LCD) shows have likewise come into utilization. Electronic gadgets like microwaves, mini-computers, clothes washers, radios, computerized clocks, and so on to show numeric data are the most widely recognized applications.
2. Introduction of 14 segment LCD
A fourteen-segment display is a type of display that could be shifted on or off to create letters and numerics. It has an additional four diagonal and two vertical segments with the center horizontal segment divided into half. it displays answers for numerals and many letters but requires more details. A decimal point or comma may be started as an extra segment or pair of segments. The comma is usually formed by joining the decimal point with a nearly attached leftwards dropping arc-shaped segment.
3. Introduction of 16 segment LCD
A sixteen-segment display is based on 16 segments that can be switched on or off to design a graphic pattern. It is an extension of the more general seven-segment display, figuring four diagonal and two upward segments and dividing the three aligned segments in half. Other modifications include the fourteen-segment display which does not divide the top or bottom aligned segments and the twenty-two-segment display that supports lower-case characters with descenders.
Often a character generator is used to translate 7-bit ASCII number codes to the 16 bits that show which of the 16 segments LCD to turn on or off.
4. The difference between 7, 14, 16 segment LCD
7-segment LCD show is one in which any numeral can be spread out utilizing a plan of seven separate LCD portions. Seven-segment show game plans are some of the time truncated to SSDs, and can likewise be alluded to as ‘seven-portion markers’. They’re among the most well-known LCD show arrangements utilized for giving straightforward mathematical readouts on an expansive scope of gadget types, including yet not restricted to:
- Fundamental mini-computers
- Many kinds of computerized timekeepers and clocks
- Programmable value shows and mathematical data sheets
- An assortment of electronic meters
All in all, seven-portion shows are for the most part restricted to showing numerals. They’re not considered particularly appropriate for lettering, as the negligible number of sections in each LCD show makes it hard to deliver adequately discernible characters.
14 Segment LCD display takes a lot of a similar fundamental configuration as the 7 section version portrayed above, however, utilizes double the number of diodes – this time organized in the natural figure-eight shape, yet with the expansion of inclining diodes getting through the middle point
The expanded LCD count takes into account a fundamentally more itemized show, implying that full alphanumeric readouts become considerably more achievable. In more reasonable situations, 14-portion shows stay a famous alternative for some, gadget types, including:
- Blu-ray players
- Vehicle sound system belts
- Guest ID telephone screens
16 Segment LCD display with the 7-section and 14-fragment shows laid out already, a 16 portion LCD show likewise adjusts to a similar essential figure-eight game plan however includes a couple of extra diodes by parting both the upper and lower flat portions into two.
Once more, regular models may include:
- Blu-ray players, speakers, and vehicle sound systems
- Stoves, microwaves, and espresso producers
- Advanced scales, shavers, and other kitchens/washroom contraptions morning timers and advanced clocks
- Arcade games and gambling machines
- Phone guest ID boards
- Public data showcases and scoreboards.
5. The advantages and disadvantages of 7 Segment LCD
- It is extremely cheap
- It has a simple electronic circuit
- In general, it is more efficient
- Easy production
- Limited to display 7 segments
- Display only the numbers 0 to 9
- Limited to the possible binary combination
6. The advantages and disadvantages of 14 Segment LCD
- It is cheaper than 16 segment LCD.
- It has a simpler electronic circuit than 16 segment LCD.
- Also easy production.
- Limited to display 14 segments.
- Limited to the possible binary combinations.
- Higher defective rate than 7 segment LCD.
7. The advantages and disadvantages of 16 Segment LCD
- It can display the possible binary combinations and also texts.
- It has a more complex electronic circuit than 7, 14 segment LCDs.
- It is expensive
- It has a higher defective rate than 7, 14 segment LCDs.
- More processes when production.
8. How to choose a proper segment LCD for your product?
Now, many monochromatic and color displays have emerged. These displays changed day by day to improve their functions and services to give a better user experience. These displays are more reliable, and they work more efficiently. These displays are used in different fields of life.
The accurate and correct selection of displays is very important. The choice of a display depends upon many factors such as BOM cost, software complexity, power, environment, and user experience. So it is a difficult task to choose the right and efficient display for your daily use.
All LCD displays are lower cost. They consume lower energy. These displays are simple software designs that are easy to use for the customer.
On the other hand, color displays are more expensive than monochromatic displays. But these displays give you more features than monochrome displays. These displays give you sharp, colorful images and high-performance graphics.