- OLED Screens advantages and disadvantages
- QLED Living In The Lab with advantages and disadvantages
- Expensive Micro LEDs advantages and disadvantages
- Advantages of Custom Segment Displays
- Who Is The Next Generation Of Display Technology?
- Final Words
You almost always think of LCD and OLED only when thinking of display panels. OLED is a technology that is already popular and used in various display devices widely. In addition, MicroLED and QLED have also become the next generation of display technology. But the question is, who can challenge LCD?
- What are the differences between OLED, QLED, and MicroLED?
- Who will be the next generation of display technology?
- Who can challenge LCD?
1. OLED Screens Advantages And Disadvantages
OLED, an organic light-emitting diode, refers to the phenomenon of organic semiconductor materials and light-emitting materials leading to luminescence through carrier injection and composite driven by electric fields. Here are some advantages of OLED screens given below:
Advantages of OLED
- Spontaneous light is the biggest advantage of OLED or self-luminous OLED televisions that can be made very thin. Even LG has made OLED TVs a stunning 2.57mm thick, with the widest part no thicker than 5mm.
- Moreover, OLED can be switched on and off for each pixel because of its spontaneous light of pixels.
- It can achieve the partition backlight at the pixel level, which theoretically can acquire indefinite contrast.
- OLEDs have a wide range of viewing angles and consume less power due to their self-luminous nature.
- OLED also has a much better color performance with a wider color range.
- OLED has a special feature produced on flexible substrate materials such as resin and plastic to achieve a soft screen. Curved and foldable phones take advantage of this feature.
Disadvantages of OLED
But OLEDs also have a destructive drawback which is given below:
- Organic materials used in OLEDs age faster than inorganic materials used in LCDs.
- A characteristic of OLED displays leaves a residual image when left standing for a long time.
- Although many technologies can help screen burning, they still cannot be solved well.
2. QLED Advantages And Disadvantages
QLED is a quantum dot light-emitting diode, having all the advantages of OLED, such as low response speed, spontaneous light, wide color range, etc.
Advantages of QLED
- QLED has longer life as it adopts inorganic quantum dot material.
- It has no screen burning phenomenon other than OLED organic material.
Disadvantages of QLED
- The quantum dots of QDS are susceptible to heat and water; a new manufacturing process needs to be developed as they cannot adopt the same manufacturing process as OLED.
- QLED Technology has just started for a short time, having limitations such as unstable component life, difficult research, low reliability and efficiency, and difficult development of the solution manufacturing process.
- At present, QLED only exists in the laboratory.
- There is still a certain distance from its commercial use.
You can ask a question
Has Samsung not launched the QLED TV?
The answer is that the QLED TV on the market is not QLED in the real sense. The QLED TV can be regarded as an upgraded version of the LCD TV.
TV has better picture quality and color performance than traditional LCD TV by adding a layer of quantum dot film in front of the backlight of LCD TV.
The QLED TV on the market currently is photoluminescence need to rely on the backlight. The real QLED is electroluminescence, which can identify the spontaneous light of pixels.
3. Expensive Micro LEDs Advantages And Disadvantages
The Micro LED is the same as the LED light billboard we see on the road, except the Micro LED takes each bead to the micron level.
Advantages of Micro LED
- Micro-LEDs are also pixel-level spontaneous light like OLED.
- They reduced traditional inorganic LED arrays, and each LED pixel in the 10-micron size can be addressed and burned individually.
- Micro LEDs are more efficient and brighter than existing OLED technology but consume less power.
Disadvantages of Micro LED
- The big problem of the micro-LED is that its manufacturing process is difficult.
- The most difficult one is “massive transfer technology,” which means how to transfer tens of millions of pixel light sources to the substrate.
- High production difficulty and low yield lead to the high price of Micro LED.
- The current large-size Micro LED TV price is not affordable for ordinary people.
4. Custom Segment LCD Displays
LCDs are more affordable under mass production, especially segment LCDs are very high in demand and affordable.
Advantages of Custom Segment LCD Displays
- Low unit cost
- Low up-front tooling cost.
- Estimated tooling Non-Recurring Engineering (NRE) cost for a custom segment LCD can run as low as $900.
- The one-time NRE fee allows product developers to design and build the display they need for their product within their budget.
- Add as many varying icons as you need.
- Low lead times
- Customize the character height and glass size to meet your requirements.
- Design support provided
- Seven, Fourteen, or Sixteen segment options are available.
5. Who Is The Next Generation Of Display Technology?
Are LCDs, OLED, QLED, MicroLED the next generation of display technology?
The answer is that in terms of performance, if all pixels illuminated spontaneously and did not burn the screen, then quads and micro LEDs would certainly beat OLEDs for longer life.
But the picture is different when one views the current state of the art. QLED mass production is far away as it is still laboratory. Micro LED has a high cost, low yield, and no real civilian products currently.
OLED screens are generally more expensive than LCDs and are already capable of mass production. LCDs are in mass production, can be customized, and are easily affordable.
At this stage,
LCDs are still the next-generation display technology. But soon, OLED could replace LCD if it can lower its price even further. But in the long run, OLED is also a temporary technology, with QLED and Micro LED being the final form until LCDs are the popular technology.
There is no need to worry too much about which display technology to use for consumers; all are affordable and easy to use. Even QLED and Micro LED will not overturn the LCD if prices do not fall and if they are commercially available.
6. Final Words
The LCDs are still popular display as they are cheap, easy to customize, easy to use, and available at affordable prices. If you still have any confusion, contact us with your query; our expert will answer you as soon as possible.